Take a look at our handy moving home countdown for some tips of what you should be doing in the run up to your move.
As your Tenancy comes to an end, it's good to be prepared for the coming move. We've put together a handy countdown to help make moving home as simple as possible for you.
A couple of months before the move:
- Check on your home insurance and make sure you have cover from the day you move in to your new home.
- Get quotes from removal men and van hire centres.
- Book storage space if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
- Start to de-clutter and get rid of possessions you no longer need - take good quality items to a charity shop or consider selling them online. Take rubbish to the tip/recycling centre.
- Take a look at our checklist for who to notify when moving home https://www.let-leeds.com/article/who-to-notify-checklist-20/
- If you are a student, have a read through your Tenant Handbook https://www.let-leeds.com/files/2019-student-tenant-handbook.pdf
A couple of weeks before you move:
- Start collecting boxes and packing items.
- Begin to pack non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes.
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area.
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move.
- Send out change of address cards or e-cards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company or van hire. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
- Take all your recycling and large bits of rubbish to the tip.
- Arrange a time to collect and drop off your keys.
- Arrange for a cleaner to do an End of Tenancy clean.
- Notify your bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders e.g. cancel rent payments.
- Go through your Tenancy Agreement and make sure you've dealt with any maintenance issues you are responsible for e.g. gardening, cleaning windows, replacing lightbulbs etc.
Day of the move
- Take your final meter readings - taking a photo is an easy way of making a record!
- Ensure everything is left as you found it when you moved in.
- Leave property and its exterior clean and tidy.
- Put any rubbish in outside bins.
- Return keys - due to the current situation, you will need to book in a key drop off appointment with our staff in line with new Covid-19 safety measures
We wish you all the best on your move!
Back to News