Important Licensing Changes for Leeds Landlords


Following a recent announcement from Leeds City Council, all Landlords with properties in the Beeston and Harehills area of Leeds, will need to apply for a license.


What is Selective Licensing?

Under the Housing Act 2004, local authorities have the power to introduce selective licensing of certain areas. Selecting licensing is a way to help councils deal with rogue landlords and to help improve the way private rented houses are managed, making sure that tenants can have safe and comfortable homes. After it's June Executive Board meeting, Leeds City Council has given its general approval to designate parts of Beeston and Harehills for selective licensing, with effect from 6 January 2020.

What does it mean?

It means that as of 6th January 2020, any private landlord will require a licence to rent out their property within the designated area or risk a hefty penalty. It is an offence for Landlords to let a property without a licence and doing so could face an unlimited fine or a civil penalty of up to £30,000. You may also be prohibited from holding a license in future.

How do I know if my property is affected?

The areas include Beeston, Holbeck, Hunslet and Riverside as well as the Gipton, Harehills, Richmond Hill and Burmantofts wards. For a full list of roads and a boundary-lined map of the exact areas, please visit the Leeds City Council website: You can also contact the Council's Selective Licensing Team directly to determine whether your property is affected by the Designation, either by calling 0113 535 1369 or emailing

What if I already have an HMO licence?

As we reported last year, it is now mandatory for all HMO's to have a license. The good news is, if you already have one in place then you will be exempt from needing another license. Other properties that are exempt and don't require a license include: holiday lets; business premises; socially let properties; student premises where the university is the landlord; premises where the tenant is a family member; as well as any property where the landlord already holds an HMO licence.

When will it happen?

The Designation will come into force on the 6th January 2020 and remain in force for a period of five years unless the scheme is revoked earlier by the Council. Licence application forms and guidance will be available from October from Leeds City Council.

What do Landlords need to do?

Firstly, you should check to see if your property is within the new designated area and if it is subject to the new licensing requirements. Secondly, you should check if you already have an HMO License in place. If your property is in the designated area, and you do not have an HMO license, then come October 2019 you will need to apply for a license. The easiest way to do this is online, or if we manage your tenancy for you, we can help you with the paperwork upon request.

Keeping up with changing rules and regulations is one of the hardest and most complex aspects of being a Landlord, which is why there is a huge benefit to partnering with a fully regulated and experienced letting agent to help navigate the legislation.

Using Let Leeds to manage your Tenancies will ensure you are doing things by the book and avoid fines and penalties, so get in touch today to discuss how we can help.

Back to News

Quick Search


Latest News

Let your property
with an award winning
dedicated letting agent

Choose Let Leeds the
award winning property specialists

Affiliate Logos

Copyright © Let-Leeds 2019, All Rights Reserved | Site Map | Terms | Privacy | Let Leeds GDPR Ltd, registered in England, Company Number 6804475. VAT Number 323 659 887.
ICO Number Z2040400. Member of Client Money Protection Scheme.

Website design by  Website design -